Carbon monoxide poisoning
CO is a colorless, odorless gas produced by the incomplete burning of any carbon-containing material, including gasoline, natural gas, propane, coal or wood. CO is dangerous because it replaces oxygen in the blood and interferes with the transport of needed oxygen to cells in the body.
Carbon monoxide safety tips
Winter can be a beautiful time of the year. But it is also the season for blustery storms, power outages, a greater use of fuel-burning devices — and a rise in carbon monoxide poisonings.
The good news is that many of these incidents can be prevented — with the right preparation. Start with these eight tips to help keep your home and family safe from carbon monoxide.
1. Know the risks of carbon monoxide.
Anything that burns a fuel — such as a furnace, fireplace, generator, gas appliance or car — produces a toxic by-product: carbon monoxide (CO).
When these devices are properly maintained and vented, this colorless, odorless gas can be effectively dispersed and channeled out of your home. If not, inhaling carbon monoxide can trigger serious health issues.
At lower concentrations, victims may experience such symptoms as a headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. But at higher concentrations, CO can quickly cause a loss of consciousness, even death.Read More »Carbon monoxide poisoning