Skip to content

February 2017

Transportation Pollution Liability


When a cement truck turns over and pollutes a stream, how is that exposure addressed on your insurance policy? If a freight hauler is unloading drums of soap and one of those drums turns over and spills into a storm drain, how are you protected? At Paperless Insurance Services we offer transportation pollution liability (“TPL”) coverage to address these exposures.

Transportation pollution liability provides protection for products or materials transported, shipped, or delivered by the insured or by a carrier on the insured’s behalf. Typically, TPL offered to risks with transportation exposure, but some carriers will also specifically include loading and unloading. While unendorsed contractor’s pollution liability (“CPL”) policies may include coverage for vehicle use at a job site, they usually offer little or no coverage for transportation exposures away from a job site. TPL would be available to address this exposure. Additionally, TPL is available for site-specific risks with transportation exposures including manufacturers, freight forwards, and distribution centers. This enhancement can be endorsed onto site pollution to address their exposure.

While capabilities vary from carrier to carrier, most insurance companies offer coverage on a blanket or scheduled basis with occurrence and claims-made triggers available. Typically, minimum premiums start around $2,500.

Claim examples

Read More »Transportation Pollution Liability

Vacant and Rental Property Insurance

Home For Rent Sign

Business investors, landlords, and owners of the residential and commercial property have vacant and rental structures for different reasons, including but not limited to a change in tenants,
recurring renovations or refurbishment, and selling the structure. When occupancy changes, the dynamics of loss exposures may shift significantly. Many insurance companies and homeowners policies will not insure or offer adequate protection for such property. If you’re looking for an experienced provider who understands these exposures and is committed to the property insurance market the search is over, as we provide access to coverage for vacant structures and rental dwellings and offer a simple process to convert policies as tenant occupancy fluctuates.

Ask yourself these questions when selecting an insurance provider for vacant and rental property coverage:Read More »Vacant and Rental Property Insurance

Quick Release Bars and Insurance

Burglar bars, also known as security or window bars, can be found on any type of structure – single-family home, apartment building, storefronts. The bars provide a visible sign of security serving as both a deterrent to potential burglars and a reassurance to those who had the bars installed. However, burglar bars can also be dangerous, preventing residents and other occupants from escaping in the event of a fire and leading to fatalities.

Based on data obtained from the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), on average, about 25 civilians are injured or die each year in fires where escape is compromised by unauthorized bars or gates. The actual numbers may be larger than that, due to the fact that the presence of burglar bars is not always collected in a way that is recorded by NFIRS (e.g., written in the text but not coded). The most recent version of NFIRS, version 5.0, allows for the collection of data concerning burglar bars; however, data from the new version is not yet available.
Most fatalities/injuries involving burglar bars occur in residences when people become entrapped by the very bars that are supposed to protect them. Children, the elderly, the mobility impaired, and firefighters are especially vulnerable. The bars also can hamper rescue efforts, especially the efforts of those who arrive before public safety personnel.

Read More »Quick Release Bars and Insurance